- Decramer M, Sibille Y, Bush A, et al. The European Union Conference on chronic respiratory disease: purpose and conclusion. Eur Respir J 2011; 37: 738–742.
- Directorate-General for Research and Innovation, European Commission. Health Research in FP7. Catalogue number KI-81-08-344-EN-C. Luxembourg, Office for Official Publications of the European Union, 2008.
- Nicod LP, Kamel N, Ward B, et al. ERS is founding member of a new Alliance for Biomedical Research in Europe. Eur Respir J 2011; 38: 237–238.
- Raviglione M, Marais B, Floyd K, et al. Scaling up interventions to achieve global tuberculosis control: progress and new developments. Lancet 2012; 379: 1902–1913.
Early origins of lung diseases
- Baraldi E, Filippone M. Chronic lung disease after premature birth. N Engl J Med 2007; 357: 1946–1955.
- Beldorbos M, Levy O, Bont L. Neonatal innate immunity in allergy development. Curr Opin Pediatr 2009; 21: 762–769.
- Bisgaard H, Hermansen MN, Bonnelykke K, et al . Association of bacteria and viruses with wheezy episodes in young children: prospective birth cohort study. BMJ 2010; 341: c49–c78.
- Grasemann H, Ratjen F. Emerging therapies for cystic fibrosis lung disease. Expert Opin Emerg Drugs 2010; 15: 653–659.
- Kabesch M, Michel S, Tost J. Epigenetic mechanisms and the relationship to childhood asthma. Eur Respir J 2010; 36: 950–961.
- Perera F, Herbstman J. Prenatal environmental exposures, epigenetics, and disease. Reprod Toxicol 2011; 31: 363–373.
Lifestyle and lung health
- Bentley AR, Kritchevsky SB, Harris TB, et al. Dietary antioxydants and forced expiratory volume in 1 s decline: the Health, Aging and Body Composition study. Eur Respir J 2012; 39: 979–984.
- Camus P, Foucher P, Bonniaud P, et al. Drug-induced infiltrative lung disease. Eur Respir J 2001; 18: Suppl. 32, 93s–100s.
- Murray JF. The year of the lung. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 2010; 14: 1–4.
- Samolinski B, Fronczak A, Wlodarczyk A, et al. Council of the European Union conclusionson chronic respiratory diseases in children. Lancet 2012; 379: e45–e46.
- ten Hacken NH. Physical inactivity and obesity. Relation to asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease? Proc Am Thorac Soc 2009; 6: 663–667.
Lungs and the environment
- Ayres J, Forsberg B, Annesi-Maesano I, et al. Climate change and respiratory disease: European Respiratory Society position statement. Eur Respir J 2009; 34: 295–302.
- de Leeuw F, Horalek J. Assessment of the health impacts of exposure to PM2.5 at a European level. Bilthoven, European Topic Centre on Air and Climate Change, 2009.
- Sigsgaard T, Nowak D, Annesi-Maesano I, et al. ERS position paper: work-related respiratory diseases in the EU. Eur Respir J 2010; 35: 234–238.
- Turner M, Krewski D, Chen Y, et al. Radon and COPD mortality in the American Cancer Society Cohort. Eur Respir J 2012; 39: 1113–1119.
- WHO guidelines for indoor air quality: selected pollutants. Bonn, World Health Organization European Centre for Environment and Health, 2010.
Lung defences and infection
- Mason CM, Nelson S. Pulmonary host defenses and factors predisposing to lung infection. Clin Chest Med 2005; 26: 11–17.
- Viasus D, Pano-Pardo J, Cordero E, et al. Effect of immunomodulatory therapies in patients with pandemic influenza A (H1N1) 2009 complicated by pneumonia. J Infect 2011; 62: 193–199.
Lung diseases in an ageing population
- Ito K, Barnes PJ. COPD as a disease of accelerated lung aging. Chest 2009; 135: 173–180.
- Lam C, Barry A, Borlaug MD. et al. Age-associated increases in pulmonary artery systolic pressure in the general population. Circulation 2009; 119: 2663–2670.
- Meyer KC. The role of immunity and inflammation in lung senescence and susceptibility to infection in the elderly. Semin Respir Crit Care Med 2010; 31: 561–574.
- Richard J, Castriotta MD, Basil A, et al. Workshop on idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis in older adults. Chest 2010; 138: 693–703.
- Wylie KM, Weinstock GM, Storch GA. Emerging view of the human virome. Transl Res 2012;160: 283–290.
- Xu X, Rock JR, Lu Y. et al. Evidence for type II cells as cells of origin of K-Ras-induced distal lung adenocarcinoma. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2012; 109: 4910–4915.
See the entire Respiratory research Chapter