- World Health Organization. Pneumonia. Factsheet No. 331, November 2012. www.who.int/ mediacentre/factsheets/fs331
- Harvard School of Public Health. Costly Noncommunicable Diseases on Rise in Developing World. www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/features/cover-age-in-the-media/global-health noncommunicable-diseases-bloom
- World Health Organization Global Health Observatory. NCD Mortality and Morbidity. www.who.int/gho/ncd/mortality_morbidity
- European Centre for Disease Control and Prevention. Surveillance of Communicable Diseases in the European Union. A Long-Term Strategy: 2008–2013. www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/aboutus/key%20documents/08-13_kd_surveillance_of_cd.pdf
- World Health Organization. United Nations High-Level Meeting on Noncommunicable Disease Prevention and Control. www.who.int/nmh/events/un_ncd_summit2011
- World Health Organization. WHO Discussion Paper: Development of an updated Action Plan for the Global Strategy for the Prevention and Control of Noncommunicable Diseases covering the period 2013 to 2020. www.who.int/nmh/events/2012/action_plan_20120726.pdf
- Council of the European Union. Council conclusions “Innovative approaches for chronic diseases in public health and healthcare systems”. www.idf.org/sites/default/files/Council_conclusions_7%20Dec%202010_Chronic%20Disease.pdf
- World Health Organization. Action Plan for implementation of the European Strategy for the Prevention and Control of Noncommunicable Diseases 2012−2016. www.euro.who.int/en/what-we-do/health-topics/noncommunicable-diseases/ncd-background-information/action-plan-for-implementation-of-the-european-strategy-for-the-prevention-and-control-of-noncommunicable-diseases-20122016
- World Health Organization. Revised Draft Global Action Plan for the Prevention and Control of Noncommunicable Diseases 2013-2020. www.who.int/nmh/events/2013/revised_draft_)ncd_action_plan.pdf
- Ritsatakis A, Makara P. Gaining Health: Analysis of Policy Development in European Countries for Tackling Noncommunicable Diseases. Copenhagen, WHO Regional Office for Europe, 2009. www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/105318/e92828.pdf
- Farrington JL, Stachenko S. Country Capacity for Noncommunicable Disease Prevention and Control in the WHO European Region. Preliminary Report. Copenhagen, WHO Regional Office for Europe, 2010. www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/122976/E94316.pdf
- World Health Organization. Noncommunicable Diseases Country Profiles 2011. WHO global report. www.who.int/nmh/publications/ncd_profiles2011/en/Tobacco
- European Union. Q&A: The Fight Against Tobacco in the EU. europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-11-349_en.htm?locale=en#footnote-1footnote-1
- Eurobarometer Report. Attitudes of Europeans to Air Quality, January 2013. ec.europa.eu/ public_opinion/flash/fl_360_en.pdf
- Hoek G, Pattenden S, Willers S, et al. PM10, and children’s respiratory symptoms and lung function in the PATY study. Eur Respir J 2012; 40: 538–547.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. Environment: Act now or face costly consequences, warns OECD. www.oecd.org/newsroom/environmentactnoworfacecostlyconsequenceswarnsoecd.htm
- Brunekreef B, Annesi-Maesano I, Ayres JG, et al. Ten principles for clean air. Eur Respir J 2012; 39: 525–528.
- World Health Organization. Air Quality and Health. Factsheet No. 313. www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs313
- DG Environment European Commission. Options for revision of the EU Thematic Strategy on Air Pollution and Related Policies. ec.europa.eu/environment/consultations/pdf/air_pollution.pdf
- Anderson HR, Atkinson RW, Bremner SA, et al. Particulate air pollution and hospital admissions for cardiorespiratory diseases: are the elderly at greater risk? Eur Respir J 2003; 21: 39s–46s.
- World Health Organization. Global Tuberculosis Control: WHO Report 2012 www.who.int/tb/publications/global_report/en/
- Dara M, de Colombani P, Petrova-Benedict R, et al. Minimum package for cross-border TB control and care in the WHO European region: a Wolfheze consensus statement. Eur Respir J 2012; 40: 1081–1090.