- Anon. Patients as consumers: wants and needs. Lancet 1961; 277: 927–928.
- Akrich M, Nunes J, Paterson F. The dynamics of patient organizations in Europe. Paris, Presses de l’École des Mines , 2008.
- Aymé S, Kole A, Groft S. Empowerment of patients: lessons from the rare diseasescommunity. Lancet 2008; 371: 2048–2051.
- Baggott R, Forster R. Health consumer and patients’ organizations in Europe: towards acomparative analysis. Health Expectations 2008; 11: 85–94.
- Baker MG. Challenges for patient organisations: focus on Europe. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2005; 76: 762–763.
- Caron-Flinterman JF, Broerse JE, Teerling J, et al. Patients’ priorities concerning healthresearch: the case of asthma and COPD research in the Netherlands. Health Expect 2005,8: 253–263.
- Coulter A, Ellins J. Effectiveness of strategies for informing, educating, and involving patients. BMJ 2007; 335; 24–27.
- Franchi M. EFA Book on Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease in Europe: Sharing and Caring. Naples, EFA, 2009. www.efanet.org/documents/EFACOPDBook.pdf
- European Patient Organizations in Knowledge Society. www.csi.ensmp.fr/WebCSI/EPOKSWebSite/
- European Patient Group Directory 2011. 4th Edn. Brussels, Burson-Marsteller, 2011. patientview.posterous.com/4th-edition-of-the-european-patient-group-dir
- Wedzicha W, Fletcher M, Powell P. Making ERS guidelines relevant and accessible: involving patients and the public. Breathe 2011; 8: 9–11.
- Nilsen ES, Myrhaug HT, Johansen M, et al . Methods of consumer involvement in developing healthcare policy and research, clinical practice guideline and patient information material. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2006; 3: CD004563.
- Rabeharisoa V. Forms of involvement of patient organisations into research: an overview ofdifferent models. STAGE Opening Conference, Copenhagen, January 10th–11th, 2002. www.stage-research.net/STAGE/downloads/Rabeharisoa_paper.pdf
See the entire Patient organisations and the European Lung Foundation Chapter