- Yu H, Wier LM, Elixhauser A. Hospital stays for children, 2009. Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project Statistical Brief #118. Rockville, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, 2011. www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/reports/statbriefs/sb118.pdf
- European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. Annual Epidemiological Report. Reporting on 2009 surveillance data and 2010 epidemic intelligence data. Stockholm, European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, 2011.
- Mathews TJ, Menacker F, MacDorman NF. Infant mortality statistics from the 2002 period linked birth/infant death data set. National Vital Statistics Report 2004; 10: 1–32.
- Otters HBM, van der Wouden JC, Schellevis FG, et al. Changing morbidity patterns in children in Dutch general practice. Eur J Gen Pract 2005; 11: 17–22.
Acute bronchiolitis and RSV
- Borchers AT, Chang C, Gershwin ME, et al. Respiratory syncytial virus – a comprehensive review. Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 2013 [In press: DOI 10.1007/s12016-013-8368-9].
- Drysdale SB, Milner AD, Greenough A. Respiratory syncytial virus infection and chronic respiratory morbidity - is there a functional or genetic predisposition? Acta Paediatr 2012; 101: 1114–1120.
- Henderson FW, Clyde WA Jr, Collier AM, et al. The etiologic and epidemiologic spectrum of bronchiolitis in pediatric practice. J Pediatr 1979; 95: 183–190.
- Ruotsalainen M, Hyvärinen MK, Piippo-Savolainen E, et al . Adolescent asthma after rhinovirus and respiratory syncytial virus bronchiolitis. Pediatr Pulmonol 2012 [In press: DOI 10.1002/ppul.22692].
- Wright M, Piedimonte G. Respiratory syncytial virus prevention and therapy: past, present and future. Pediatr Pulmonol 2011; 46: 324–347.
- Onland W, Offringa M, van Kaam A. Late (≥7 days) inhalation corticosteroids to reduce bronchopulmonary dysplasia in preterm infants. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012; 18: CD002311.
- Principi N, Esposito S. Management of severe community-acquired pneumonia of children in developing and developed countries. Thorax 2011; 66: 815–822.
- Ranganathan SC, Sonnappa S. Pneumonia and other respiratory infections. Pediatr Clin North Am 2009; 56: 135–156.
- European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control/WHO Regional Office for Europe. Tuberculosis surveillance and monitoring in Europe 2012. Stockholm, European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, 2012.
- Perez-Velez CM, Marais BJ. Tuberculosis in children. N Engl J Med 2012; 367: 348–361.
- Sandgren A, Hollo V, Quinen C, et al. Childhood tuberculosis in the European Union/European Economic Area, 2000 to 2009. Eur Surveill 2011; 16: 1–8.
- Cherry JD. Epidemic pertussis in 2012 – The resurgence of a vaccine-preventable disease. N Engl J Med 2012; 367: 785–787.
Primary ciliary dyskinesia
- Strippoli MP, Frischer T, Barbato A, et al. Management of primary ciliary dyskinesia in European children: recommendations and clinical practice. Eur Respir J 2012; 39: 1482–1491.
See the entire Paediatric respiratory diseases Chapter