- Cooper BG, Steenbruggen I, Mitchell S, et al. Spirometry: the European Spirometry Driving Licence. Breathe 2011; 7: 258–264.
- Cooper BG, Troosters T, Burge G, et al. Allied respiratory professionals. Eur Respir J 2010; 36: 701–703.
- Decramer M, Sibille Y. European Respiratory Roadmap. Lausanne, European Respiratory Society, 2011.
- Montserrat JM, Navajas D, Parra O, et al. Continuous positive airway pressure treatment in patients with OSA. In: McNicholas WT, Bonsignore MR, eds. Sleep Apnoea. Eur Respir Monogr 2010; 50: 244–266.
- Scott SD, Albrecht L, O’Leary K, et al. Systematic review of knowledge translation strategies in the allied health professions. Implement Sci 2012; 7: 70.
- American Thoracic Society. Research priorities in respiratory nursing. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1998; 158: 2006–2015.
- American Thoracic Society. Standards of nursing care for adult patients with pulmonary dysfunction. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1991; 144: 231–236.
- Upton J, Madoc-Sutton H, Sheikh A, et al. National survey on the roles and training of primary care respiratory nurses in the UK in 2006: are we making progress? Prim Care Respir J 2007; 16: 284–290.
- Wong CX, Carson KV, Smith BJ. Home care by outreach nursing for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012; 4: CD000994.
- Bott J, Blumenthal S, Buxton M, et al. Guidelines for the physiotherapy management of the adult, medical, spontaneously breathing patient. Thorax 2009; 64: Suppl. 1, i1-51.
- Gosselink R, Bott J, Johnson M, et al. Physiotherapy for adult patients with critical illness: recommendations of the European Respiratory Society and European Society of Intensive Care Medicine Task Force on Physiotherapy for Critically Ill Patients. Intensive Care Med 2008; 34: 1188–1199.
- Langer D, Hendriks E, Burtin C, et al. A clinical practice guideline for physiotherapists treating patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease based on a systematic review of available evidence. Clin Rehabil 2009; 23: 445–462.
- Nici L, Donner C, Wouters E, et al. American Thoracic Society/European Respiratory Society statement on pulmonary rehabilitation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2006; 173: 1390–1413.
- Schweickert WD, Pohlman MC, Pohlman AS, et al. Early physical and occupational therapy in mechanically ventilated, critically ill patients: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2009; 373: 1874–1882.
- Troosters T, Casaburi R, Gosselink R, et al. Pulmonary rehabilitation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2005; 172: 19–38.
- World Confederation for Physical Therapy. Policy statement: description of physical therapy. 2011. www.wcpt.org/policy/ps-descriptionPT
See the entire Allied respiratory professionals Chapter