Analyses, interpretations and conclusions are the responsibility of the authors and not the World Health Organization.
- World Health Organization. World Health Statistics 2011, last accessed April 2012. www.who.int/whosis/whostat/2011/en/index.html
- World Health Organization. World Detailed Mortality Datafiles, last updated November 2011. www.who.int/whosis/mort/download/en/index.html
- World Health Organization. WHO Europe Detailed Mortality Datafiles, last accessed April 2012. www.euro.who.int/en/what-we-do/data-and-evidence/databases/european-detailed-mortality-database-dmdb2
- World Health Organization. European Hospital Morbidity Database. Copenhagen, WHO Regional Office for Europe. Last updated October 2011. data.euro.who.int/hmdb/index.php
- Eurostat. Hospital discharges by diagnosis, last updated March 2012. epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/portal/page/portal/statistics/search_database
Asthma prevalence in children
- Lai CKW, Beasley R, Crane J, et al. Global variation in the prevalence and severity of asthma symptoms: Phase Three of the International Study of Asthma and Allergies in Childhood. Thorax 2009; 64: 476–483.
Asthma prevalence in adults
- World Health Organization. World Health Survey, last accessed January 2012. www.who.int/healthinfo/survey/en/
- Buist AS, McBurnie MA, Vollmer WM, et al. International variation in the prevalence of COPD (the BOLD Study): a population-based prevalence study. Lancet 2007; 370: 741–750.
- Miravitlles M, Soriano JB, Garcia-Rio F, et al. Prevalence of COPD in Spain: impact of undiagnosed COPD on quality of life and daily life activities. Thorax 2009; 64: 863–868.
- Vanfleteren LE, Franssen FM, Wesseling G, et al. The prevalence of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in Maastricht, the Netherlands. Respir Med 2012; 106: 871–874.
Lung cancer incidence
- International Agency for Research on Cancer. European Cancer Observatory. Last accessed June 2012. eu-cancer.iarc.fr/EUCAN/Cancer.aspx?Cancer=18
Tuberculosis notifications and deaths
- European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control/World Health Organization Regional Office for Europe. Tuberculosis surveillance and monitoring in Europe 2012. Stockholm, European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, 2012. www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/healthtopics/Tuberculosis/Pages/index.aspx
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. Health Data 2012 - Frequently Requested Data, last accessed January 2012. www.oecd.org/ document/16/0,3746,en_2649_37407_2085200_1_1_1_37407,00.html
Global Burden of Disease Study
- The Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet 2012; 380: 2053–2260. (Interactive versions of this large dataset are available online at: healthmetricsandevaluation.org/gbd/visualizations/regional