- Obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome (OSAS) is a major public health problem across Europe.
- Obesity is a major risk factor for OSAS but a significant minority of affected individuals are nonobese.
- The main treatment for OSAS is continuous positive airway pressure – a highly effective and economical intervention.
- Untreated OSAS greatly increases the risk of accidents due to sleepiness.
- Obesity hypoventilation syndrome is an increasing public health issue.
See the entire Sleep breathing disorders Chapter